Monday, February 7, 2011

GOOD HEALTH

Something I’ve taken for granted all along because good health is hard to notice and even harder to be grateful for until we fall sick. When I was a biology student I learnt that the human body is a masterpiece in design and engineering. In fact it is simply astounding the way it is all carefully crafted and wired together, and the interconnectedness, symbiotic relationships, the complexity, the brilliance of it all, is just mind-blowing. We create a machine with say ‘n’ number of parts and it fails to work or falls apart after some time. The engineering at the macro level and right down to the sub-cellular level in the body is so brilliant and so intricate, that not in a million years will we be able to replicate it. The whole mind-body machine is one well-oiled, superbly working mechanism. And yet we carry this loyal tool around without giving much thought to its upkeep, and blatantly abuse it with all kinds of toxic foods, thoughts and emotions, poor diet and hectic lifestyles, over-medication and under-exercise.

I had reason to think about all this lately when I went to visit a doctor for a throat infection. Curious chap he was, he had an instrument with which he poked me, sending some kinda waves through my body and the results of which he read on his instrument. He proclaimed that except for the infection and cold I was in excellent health considering my age :))) He went on to say that I don’t look as old as I am and that I have maintained my self well. I don’t know if that was a compliment or a medical statement but I briefly considered telling him about my two surgeries. But then I thought he must have meant that I don’t have any chronic illnesses that start to beset people of my age. Anyways, came away feeling very blessed and extremely grateful :)

1 comment:

Shivaja said...

Yes what a masterpiece the human body is! May u remain healthy always!