Sunday, February 13, 2011

MOONLESS, STARRY NIGHTS


Why moonless? you might ask. Because the moon is such an attention-grabber, hanging there in the sky shining resplendently. On full moon nights, the moon looks so captivating, like a milky pearl, drenching everything in its dreamy light, that we fail to notice anything else. But imagine a night when there is no moon and no clouds either, then you will see the night decked out in all its diamond jewellery, some twinkling mischievously, some soft and benign, all precious pinpricks of light in the inky sky. The sight of the stars opens up our vision like nothing else, for isn’t that the universe over there spread out above us,  stretching towards infinity. Makes me feel like an insignificant, miniscule speck among the mind-boggling, glorious vastness of it all, instantly taking me out of my self-centred self and completely wiping out my arrogance.

It even gives a different perspective to the concept of time and of Now. For even as the light from the stars reaches our eyes, it has left its source many light years ago, and we can never know if the star that emitted the light still exists or has died as we are gazing at it, or moved from the position we think it is at. Reminds us that things are not as they appear to be, and perspective is only that, not necessarily the truth.

But most of all I am grateful for the fact that when I stand under the canopy of the jewelled sky and bask in the soft starlight, I am filled with such awe-filled joy, that I forget that I am a limited human with a body and mind, almost completely lose the sense of ‘I’, and I am transformed by the sense of vastness and infinity which arises within me and that which I intuitively know to be my real nature.

2 comments:

Chitra said...

Your sweet surrender to nature is akin to your surrender to God. It is only in front of Creation and to its Creator that we can stand unclothed, with all reason for identity dead.

The picture you've carved here is breathtaking....Your derivation, as splendid!
Chitra

New Buddha said...

Siiiigh ! You are so beautiful within...and so talented.